> On August 16, 2018 at 12:17 AM clay monroe via Mercedes
> <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>

> I replaced the valve cover in the SD last weekend and then spent the week
> losing about two gallons of oil because the cover gasket was not seating
> properly.  It is now secure and having been shy a quart of oil at one point,
> I had to toss in a quart of ATF so I could get home.  This seems to have had
> a salubrious impact upon the engine, as now, the pressure is constantly
> pegged at 3 bar, where it had been dropping to around 1.5 bar at hot.

I knew an engineer, from back in the days when a smart guy could become an
engineer without going to college (he was a trained machinist with many patents
to his name after being promoted to engineer at a major corporation) who
believed in putting a qt of ATF in the engine and a qt of mobil one in the
transmission. He drove a Dodge/Cummins pickup when I knew him, but I'm pretty
sure he did the oil mixing routine in anything he owned. That was 20 years ago
and I forget what specifically his reasoning was. I'm not sure I'd do it today
with seemingly every transmission having its own ATF specification.

Mitch.