The issue is not how much the turbo can supply. It is how much it can
supply efficiently.

The map has air mass on the x axis and pressure ratio on the vertical. The
more pressure you run, the less air mass you can pump. There are islands of
pressure/mass flow where the compressor provides air compression more
efficiently than elsewhere.

If you turn up the wastegate pressure beyond design pressure, you move out
of the efficient part of the compressor map. So the compressor heats the
air more for the same pressure. Which means less mass is delivered than
would otherwise be the case.

This is important on all turbodiesel engines but particularly the
non-intercooled 617. I believe stock boost is 9psi by the way.

The motor itself can be boosted much higher, e.g. 3 atmospheres, but there
is no reason to do this without increasing the fuel and providing an
intercooler.

Overall with a non-crossflow, cast iron head I think the 617 is not a great
motor for high power. It can be done; dieselmeken will modify the MW pump
now. But you would need a new turbo, the pump, and a good intercooler to
get any real power out of it.