Looking at houses today in the second hilliest city in the USA provided some
good italian tune up opportunities. Unfortunately it didn't provide any houses
we were interested in...

  Friday I took the 190D to 494mi on 1 fillup. Saturday the car didn't want to
start and when it did it ran like crap. A tank of clean fuel made it run better
but I figured fuel filters were in order. In the process I learned a couple
things:

  The secondary filter is a PITA. Loosen the engine side clamp, then pull the
filter back and loosen the tank side clamp. When reinstalling make sure you're
on the right clamp before you tighten. I honked on some other screw in there a
couple times cursing when it wouldn't turn only to find out it was the wrong
screw...
  The primary filter is easier but not easy... The primary filter holds almost
a whole bottle of diesel purge but don't fill the filter all the way up unless
for some crazy reason you WANT to spill diesel purge on the belt. I'm not sure
but I bet the purge isn't any good for the belt...

Anyway that whole job only took about half an hour. When I started the engine
it tried to die but I was ready and held it to high idle and it was fine after
about 10 seconds. Then I took it from 1100' where I live (highest city in New
England) down to about 300 feet and back up all at 60-65mph in 4th gear (about
3000rpm). The engine seems quieter and is definately a bit more responsive.

  I replaced all the bulbs in the passenger side rear group to get the blinker
to work right again. I figured while I was there I'd get 'em all. The
intermittantly bad blinker was probably due to a bulb that had come lose from
its base.

  Then I continued with defunking the interior. I dunno about the people that
had the car before me but I don't think they EVER cleaned the carpets. I bought
a bottle of OxyClean carpet stain remover at the local liquidators and it does
a real good job removing the accumulated slime and horror. I've got a gift
certificate for an interior detailing but so far I've been too embarassed about
the disgusting interior. It was that nasty. Right now I'm glueing up a paper
towel to make a coffee sachet to absorb some of the smell. Its alot better than
it was but its not a smell I like yet...

  -Curt
  '85 190D "Dory" 236kmi

countries) for 2ยข/min or less.