Buy a 107 or 113 and put an OM 617 in it.  (Preferably with a 5 speed)

Short of that, the 380s with the dual chain are quite reasonable. I think 84 and 85 came from the factory with the dual chain. My daughter has an 85 and it has been serviceable, except for a starter failure that took almost 2 weeks to get a starter here. (DHL, not Rusty) If you don't want a show car, the 380s can be reasonably priced. Someone else can tell you the break between single and dual chain by VIN. Of course a lot of the single chain cars have been converted, but there is no way to tell without taking off a valve cover.

The later models with the self storing hard top are nice, but pricey. Buy my daughter an SLK 230 and she will give you her 107.