Depends.

If you were to buy a later (facelift) model and desire a large, heavy car with
a lot of amenities, they’re great.  From a standpoint of reliability, the
facelift models (1996 and later) are very reliable, but not terribly
economical, even the inline six models.

Earlier models have a lot of known issues, which, if resolved, make them a
decent car.  However, they all are complex and do require what I would consider
an above average DIY ability to maintain.

I wouldn’t mind a 1999 S500 for a nice sedan. But - I would rather go with a
W210 that’s more modern and far less expensive to maintain and operate.

-D