On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 23:19:12 -0500
fmiser via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> > Greg wrote:
>
> > Recent information has been coming out about the vulnerability
> > of the US to an EMP attack.
>
> As I understand, EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) is the result of a
> high-altitude "dirty" explosion that releases lots of gamma rays.
> Those rays, as they "cut" the earth's magnetic field, generate an
> EMP.  Most of the energy in an EMP is likely very similar to
> lightning.
>
> Yes, the USA has a lot of electronics.  And an EMP could really
> cause a mess.  My (limited) analysis is that a major solar storm
> is a greater risk than an EMP - but it typically much lower
> frequency so will effect power distribution system but not have
> much effect on our cars.
>
> > My questions are:
> >
> > Would my '97 Powerstroke 7.3 be functional after such an attack?
>
> My guess - probably.  The electronics in that are fairly well
> shielded and are pretty rugged.  The engine control computer has
> to have a fair amount of filtering on the inputs to keep the
> automotive EM junk out.
>
> > If not, are there components I could keep on hand in a Faraday
> > Cage to get it back in service?
>
> The engine control computer is what I would expect to be the most
> vulnerable.  The injectors are pretty tough and rather buried.
> The alternator is pretty tough due to the current it has to handle.
>
> I guess I would probably put an engine control computer, one each
> of the sensors, and the alternator's electronic voltage
> regulator.  If you care about the body computer, I guess one of
> those too.
>
> And a cage may not be needed.  No wires connected could be enough
> to keep out the gremlins.  However, if that's why I was keeping a
> spare, I would sure keep it in an aluminum pouch, inside a
> static-dissipating bag.
>
> But really it is _ALL_ speculation.  The last actual EMP from a
> weapon was a test done in USSR in 1962 or so and there was not
> much but power to disrupt.  It did do that.
>
> Here are some links from my researching this a number of years ago
> http://www.futurescience.com/emp/test184.html
> http://www.futurescience.com/emp.html
> http://www.futurescience.com/emp/emp-protection.html
> http://www.futurescience.com/emp/emp-grounding.html
> http://www.futurescience.com/emp/emp-notes.html
> http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1783/1
> http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1549/2
> http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1549/1
> http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1553/1
>

> http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1656/1

I was travelling on an insterstate to a major city. About a hundred miles from
there I was driving through the area of a medium sized town. Probably 20 or 30
miles away on the other side of the town was a fairly large Air Force Base.
Just before entering the most populated part of the town my engine quit. After
probably 3 or 4 seconds it started again. This was during the late 1980s and I
was driving a '73 Chrysler Volare.
I didn't think much
 about it since the Volare was about 15 years old, and the small metal encased
solid state switching unit that energized the coil which fired the plugs would
go bad periodically after acting funky for a while. I always carried a spare
and it was easy to change,
Before the next trip to the big city I put in a new switching unit from the
dealer and expected no more trouble for a while, but the same thing happended
at the same place with the engine again dying for 3 or 4 seconds.
Having read or heard something about experiments with "death rays" and such, I
began to suspect that the air force base was beaming some sort of
electromagnetic energy strong enough to freeze a solid state circuit encased in
steel.
The next trip to the big city I cut over behind the AFB to see if such a "beam"
might be detected there; assuming that some sort of high powered asircraft
landing system might be the cause. Sure enough, the same thing happened.
Was it a landing system or was it experiments with "death rays"? I never
figured it out.
Gerry

---
https://www.avg.com