On rethinking the FFL issue, legally, it would be a private sale, thus NOT
subject to need for a a background check or any forms filled out.

I have a friend of many years who owned a number of pawn shops and was and
is an active gun collector.. on a number of instances he set up a folding
table down the sidewalk with a sign that said, "I'll pay more" .... every
cop knew him, which helped, and he was an FFL, but all the guns he bought
like that were "private sales".