> On December 3, 2018 at 5:26 PM "Kaleb C. Striplin via Mercedes"
> <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>

> I have noticed it seems many police officers fall way short of proper use and
> safety involving firearms.

It's just like hunters. The ones who merely go through a hunter safety course
because it's required, or the cops who only know about guns what was force fed
to them at the range, aren't all that competent with firearms. The cops who
know how to properly handle firearms already knew before they became cops.

A woman I went to high school with, her teenage son killed her husband. They'd
been hunting and the kid was unloading his gun. How in the world do you point a
gun at your dad's chest, especially when manipulating that gun's controls? If I
had pointed a toy gun at my dad at half that kid's age, I would have lost
access to it for at least a month.

If you're raised like I was, you just don't allow the dangerous end of a
firearm to sweep over other people unless you think they might need to be dead.
That's the 'gun culture' that some people in this country are determined to get
rid of.

Some LEOs (a clear majority in major cities), are as safe with a gun in public
as I'd be if you gave me a two day familiarization course with elephants and
asked me to drive one through town. These are guys who didn't even have BB guns
when they were kids, and it's hard to get them to the point where doing it
right is an ingrained response.

That cop from Wyoming in the Youtube video I linked, he seemed to have the
basics down, I can't fault the way he handled his sidearm in front of the news
camera, but he bought a dangerously stupid piece of equipment that didn't
protect the trigger, and then he grabbed his gun through the fabric of his
pants and pulled up on the trigger. Boom, negligent discharge, here's your
citation for disorderly conduct and public endangerment. Your Lee Paige
Achievement Certificate will come in the mail later. (or, since he wasn't using
a proper holster, should we give him a Plaxico Burress Award?)

The dancing FBI agent who was mentioned in passing in that video, his holster
didn't have sufficient retention to hold the gun securely while doing a
backflip. That's a problem, but the real problem was the moron who, upon seeing
that his holster dumped his gun on the floor, grabbed it and pulled the
trigger. He didn't make the common mistake of grabbing a dropped gun in midair,
but the end result was the same. I think he was rushing to get it out of sight
before anybody noticed he dropped it.
Mitch.