To: "Diesel List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 7:29 PM
Subject: [MBZ] My friend the Italian Tuneup

Consider my friend the Italian tuneup. This week I've been driving my 190D like I stole it, 45 miles each way to work and home. 4th gear and 65-80 miles an hour the whole way. Its become my mission to keep the tachometer above 3000rpm as much as possible. Around town I find myself staying in second with the engine roaring, people watch as I roar by. Highway intersects are a trip, the 3500 rpm run down I 495 before merging onto RT 2 is my favorite. It seems like the highspeed run works to loosen the carbon and the downshift into 3rd and subsequent 4000rpm merge onto the smaller highway expels it from the engine. I merge onto RT 2 in a glorious cloud.

Unfortunately no one else appreciates my friend. They see the clouds and thats all they see. They don't know that each morning my car starts a little easier than it did just a month ago. They don't see the fuel mileage creeping ever higher. How could they know that the engine is quieter now than 3,000 miles ago when I bought it? All they hear is the roar. All I hear is music. Consider the heavily made up woman in the Honda next to me. To her a car is mere transportation, a means to go from one place in her dull little life to another. I consider my car a member of my family to be cared for and cared about. I am now forever spoiled and will never again willingly own a dull car.

 -Curt
 '85 190D "Dory" 236kmi