Dave, thanks for the photos.  I tried the allen wrench in the hole way and
chipped one of the water pump ribs.  I guess I will try the right way.  Do
you think a broken rib will affect anything?  Also, is the hex head bolt on
the fan left threaded?  I was using  a long pipe on the end of the ratchet
for leverage and the bolt didn't budge?

Mark Maturo

                      "Dave M."

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]       To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      >                        cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [MBZ] 603 Fan
removal
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      triplin.net

                      03/30/2006 03:38

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      Mercedes

                      Discussion List

Mark,

Here's a photo of the real tools:

http://www.w124performance.com/images/tools/OM60x_serp_belt_tools.jpg

Cost of the tool via Rusty should be under $100. I recommend buying
the tool if you intend to own OM60x engines for any length of time.
Otherwise, some people say you can slip a small Allen wrench into a
hole in the pulley, and brace it against a rib on the water pump. I've
not done this myself but others claim it works OK... just don't break
the water pump. With the stubby hex socket and spinner tool shown in
the photo above, the fan can be pulled out without removing the
radiator.

:-)

-Dave M.