We have them, too.  They dig up little divots at night in my backyard where the
trees overhand the property and it’s shady.  I talked to our county agent about
them and there’s really nothing you can do, as they’re difficult to trap and
breed prodigiously.

I did take a baseball bat to one once, sort of like a golf club. Knocked the
little sucker about 30 yards back into the park behind the house.  I was not
happy as I had just about turned my ankle in one of their little divots the day
before while cutting grass.

I wonder what a .22 would do to them since they’re “armored”?

-D