Rotate the crank to OT, then pull the oil cap and make sure both #1
cam lobes are pointing up, i.e. not depressing their respective lifter
buckets.  If the lobes aren't up, then rotate the crank another time
around, rinse and repeat.

> What is the best way to put the 603 engine # 1 cylinder at  top dead
> center?  I know in a gas engine you can take the spark plug out  and feel
> the pressure as you turn the engine over and also use the distributor to
> locate # 1 cylinder.  But diesel???

Casey
Olympia, WA
Biodiesel: "I drive in a persistent vegetative state"
'87 300TD intercooler (212k)
'84 300D (211k)
Gashuffer:
'89 Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition (187K)