Received replacement vacuum hose Wednesday, of course it looks different than the one in my car. Called Rusty's on it and I am convinced that the available documentation lists the part number of the replacement hose as 126 430 12 29. I do not know the part number of the hose my car came equipped with. The pictures in the 'pdf-s' of the EGR stuff shows what looks like an engine compartment with the replacement hose. I can find no pictures that look like my car. My original hose has a white plastic check valve with a 'engine side' black plastic two orifice fitting that is part of the check valve. The replacement hose has a white plastic check valve and two tee fittings that are spliced into the hose. This would make the vacuum lines that attach to the hose need to connect to them in the engine compartment. On my car the two extra taps that are integrated into the check valve allow the plethora of vacuum lines that are routed to the separated compartment that separates the brake booster and fuse box to connect the vacuum line. This is in addition to the white vacuum tap off on the check valve that both hoses have. To use the new hose I would need to route two vacuum hoses into the engine compartment and into the brake fuse area and then splice them in. My vacuum hose is useable as it appears that the broken fitting is only for the EGR I broke one of 2 fittings. Maybe I just keep it and sent back the replacement. Verbally describing this is somewhat silly. I fill try to take a picture of it this weekend .

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Cathey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 300SD 1985 Vacuum problems

Booboo-ed on vacuum line from brake booster to vacuum pump, snapped
off one
of the black vacuum taps. ( it is the one with a single line, not the
one
with the 4-way connector. ). First I tried teeing it into the one with
the 4
way connector - oooops! That did not work. I don't know what this line
does,

These taps often have restrictor orifices built-in, so just moving it
elsewhere might not result in what you want.  It could siphon too much
away from where you move it to, for example, if it was on a restricted
tap of its own.

the car is currently running with it disconnected. It seems to run,
shift
and shut off .I have ordered a new vacuum - line from Rusty.
 I don't know what this line does, it disappears into a plethora of
vacuum
lines on the left fender well, connecting to many Y connectors, a 3 way
change over valve and the mysterious round thing with 3 vacuum
connections
(now believed to be "pressure converter" (PDF 14-100, Diagram C. model
year
1984 California).. I tried to leak test this line with a hand vacuum
pump.

The blue flying saucers are vacuum amplifiers.  Think 'transistor'.
I think the SDL has two, one for the EGR crap and one for the tranny.

It does not hold vacuum. I tried to isolate some of its circuits but
it is
not straight forward. Is this part of the EGR circuit?  It is starting
look this way, this part of my car seems to match the above 1984
California
diagram. Ideas suggestions?

All the EGR crap is, IIRC, over on the _right_ side of the car.  But
our only 126 is an SDL, things could well be arranged differently in
these.  But the EGR valve itself ought to be easy to find, just track
backwards from there.  I think the EGR junk is pretty self-contained.
And not something you need!

-- Jim