> Craig wrote:

> four-pack of 100 W equivalents.

<rant>

I'm not really picking on you, Craig, 'cause your earlier email
stated, "1600 lumens"  but I get really annoyed with the "watts
equivalent" rating because the light output for a 100 W
incandescent is NOT standard!  I have chosen to ignore that number
as marketing hype - which it usually is - and instead look at
lumens.

A lumen is a measure of the total light energy output (as
perceived by human eyes - it is a weighted scale) with no regard
for direction or distance to what is being lite.  It is, in my
opinion, the right way to compare lamp types because adding a
reflector, or shifting the light output to one side only will not
change the lumen output.

In practice, if I would like a bit more light than my 500 lumen 40
watt incandescent puts out, I can look at all the choices of 700
lumen lamps and pick the one with the lowest watt rating if I want
to save on operating costs.

In summary, I wish the packaging would _decrease_ the confusion
and report the light output based on a light output measurement -
not a comparison to the power consumption of of a light of
arbitrary efficiency.

</rant>