My buddy was a construction supervisor. Knew how to read blueprints, how to use
tools, how to build things. In the downturn a few years ago he lost his job,
Boeing moved here and were looking for people, his wife actually filled out the
application and submitted it without him knowing, they hired him. There were
lots of other construction workers at the time that they hired so they got
people with some good construction knowledge. They were good trainees, got up
to speed quickly.

Now, either all the good people got these jobs or are back at construction
work, and the dregs are left. Volvo and Mercedes (and suppliers) have big
factories here now and are struggling too, and competing for the same limited
resources.

The crop is very limited in capabilities. The politicians who have sold the
taxpayers out for incentives now have to make good on the personnel aspect and
are trying to create vo-tech training post facto and that is trying to play
catch up but again the crop is not quite up to it. The pols are trying to play
it down but it’s common knowledge.

You can’t make up for 150 years of failure in a coupla years.

--FT
Sent from iPhone