He lost his medical certificate after a heart attack, but still intended to
finish his license after regaining his medical. I'm not sure if that was
realistic or not, but that was his plan.

IIRC, they cited him for a junk/inoperable vehicle, so he said 'oops' and hired
an A&P to come out and put the wings on it. At that point it looked gorgeous,
it was tied down, it was a decent distance back from the sidewalk, and IMO
looked 10x better than any of the boats on trailers in the neighborhood. Zoning
called it a hazard because it might take off in a high wind and fly into a
house. It looked to me like it'd have to carry a substantial piece of the
concrete driveway with it for that to happen.

I got the idea he spent more time washing it than he did mowing his lawn.

But the NIMBYS wanted it gone, and zoning enforcers had already declared it
junk so they weren't going to back down just because he unjunked it. And thus
the war began...

Reminds me of the guy with the over-the-top Christmas light display and his
neighbors, aptly named Mr and Mrs Heck, who just had to spoil it. That guy was
the sort to never back down too, especially after his brother who helped him
create the extravagant display died.

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/north/2005/12/22/Ross-won-t-pull-plug-on-brothers-holiday-lights/stories/200512220240

http://steelthismag.com/the-curious-case-of-bill-ansell/