The real problem with medical research is that since Reagan cut all the funding
for basic research, the only source of funding is pharmaceutical companies and
for-profit distributors.

The results, of course, are heavily biased toward medical inteventions.  Same
way most crop research is conducted by chemical companies -- the solution for
ALL farm issues is more chemical applications.  No profit in keeping people
healthy or reducing chemical usage (by breeding fungus resistant corn instead
of drowning the country in Daconil, which is the current issue here).

Americans have more heart attacks because they lead high stress, low exercise
lives and eat chemically altered and adulterated "food" instead of fresh food
with minimal additives.  And the vast majority are morbidly obese for the same
reasons.

Genetics play a big role too -- heart disease does run in families and if you
don't have a genetic propensity it probably doesn't matter what you do, and if
you do have heart disease on both sides you may not escape it.  I'm lucky, we
all seem to have gotten my mother's side's hearts.  My dad died after a big
heart attack in 1976, and his father had a series of strokes and heart attacks
that killed him in 1950 at the same age.

Eat well, exercise, and do what you can to reduce stress.