While I understand that the MB book claims the marks are white, not yellow,
take a look at the underbody shot of this 1966 200D for sale in SF.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-mercedes-benz-200d-3/

It clearly has a YELLOW mark on the compensator spring. Might be worth calling
Tom Hanson, as the book clearly doesn't match reality in these two cases.

Or is it possible that the book is referring to the regular coil springs, NOT
the compensator spring?

D.