Diagnosing this kind of problem takes a little understanding of simple DC
circuits, a meter, and patience.  It sounds like your dealer is missing at
least one of those.  IMO, you have been ripped off.

If you want to do this DIY and stop writing checks I'm sure several here will
advise.  I would start by measuring the battery voltage AT THE POSTS with the
car off.  Maybe you just have a bad battery. Battery testing at FLAPS is free
and easy.  With a known good battery, what happens to the voltage at the posts
when you connect the cables?  There should be almost no voltage drop when you
connect the cables but there will be some current draw if your car has
computers that boot up when power is applied.  What happens to the battery
voltage (at the posts) when the glow plugs fire up and when you try to crank?
If there is a small parasitic load draining the battery overnight you can
locate it using an ammeter and pulling fuses until you find the offending
circuit.

By the way, it's a bitch to replace the whole key switch/interlock assembly but
the electrical part is a separate piece that's not hard to remove/replace, at
least if it's like 123s and 126s.

Good luck.