Thanks for the input.  I've been looking at a retrofit board by Emerson:
https://climate.emerson.com/documents/presentations-en-us-4848412.pdf
That kit is about $100 and I still need to see if it will fit.  I have one
older (well past warranty) R22 system that I may try first.  It has always been
a weak performer and prone to icing. so little ventured.
My other system is a new (week-old) Carrier R410 heat pump  so I'm a little
reluctant to start hacking it just yet.  That new R410a Carrier heat pump with
a Unico air handler really puts out heat; I get 110+ degree source air when
it's 50 degrees outside and still 100+ degree source air when it's 25-30
degrees outside.
We had freezing rain last weekend and the new heat pump was TOTALLY iced up
because the installer failed to connect one wire.  That's when I became more
interested this topic.
Thanks again.
Scott