I had a wood stove in my old Victorian in the Boston area, burned it constantly through the winter, had a pretty low oil bill.  I dropped the chimney flue (I put a new stainless flue in the old brick chimney that served the kitchen cook stove or heat stove back when) down into the basement where I capped the bottom but could take off the cap to run a brush up.  I would clean it every year with a brush from below, but never had much of any soot or creosote in it, I would burn it hot every day or two and I guess that cooked most of it out, even though I would close the stove damper at night to keep it burning low.

When I sold the house the realtor wanted a list of the past winter's oil bill, it was only $500, she couldn't believe it. Most people were spending a few $k heating similar houses.  I only ran the boiler in the mornings and evenings mostly and kept it really low during the day and night.  The house had a back stairway near the kitchen so the heat from the woodstove would keep the upstairs nice and warm all night, no need to run the boiler.  I would get wood from the tree dump in the office park I worked in, and the town maintenance guys would occasionally drop off maple and oak trees they had cut down, or let me go to the town tree dump and collect wood.  Never bought any (except for the cost of a few 6packs to the town guys), but it warmed me twice!

--FT