From: Peter Frederick via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Peter Frederick <psf...@earthlink.net>
Sent: Thu, Feb 7, 2019 8:05 am
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Driving with excessive oil in the engine for 1800 miles!!!!!
Possible Issues??

High oil level can result in foaming since the crank will be splashing the oil
badly, and that usually results in excess oil consumption through the crankcase
breather.  Bad enough the oil pressure will drop to next to nothing.  Usually
accompanied by large amounts of blue smoke since the oil going down the intake
doesn't burn very well in a gasser.

If the crank wasn't thrashing the oil in the pan, there would be likely no
effect at all.

I'd check the oil filter housing for signs of oil being tossed up out of the
crankcase ventilation system (or wherever the crankcase ventilation system
vents back into the intake, might be a vacuum fitting somewhere), but if it
didn't blow blue smoke when you drove it home I suspect you got away with it.

Damage from oil going down the intake would be excessive deposits on the
valves, piston crowns, and in the cats and oxygen sensor, so if it runs well
and gets normal milage I'd leave it alone.