Joe Knight wrote:
>  Next morning came another
> call from Farmers informing me they'd decided to fix the wagon after
> all when the appraisal came in at $11500.  Today's call pretty much
> set that in stone so far as I can tell.

If you'd been the average idiot who signed the $3800 check, they'd
have gotten off basically for free, if they could sell the wreck for
$3800.
It costs them nothing to make a ridiculous offer to open with, and then
up it 10% if you squawk. Giving them a written pre-appraisal let them
know you were not going to fall for the usual routine.
Mitch