While not strictly necessary, I find that a POR-15 repair lasts longer if the
rust is completely removed with multiple applications of naval jelly. Over a
period of 1-2 days, the rust can be completely dissolved giving you a nice rust
free, pickled surface which is optimal for POR-15 adhesion.

Sent from my iPhone