This afternoon I made a code reader for the SL

http://www.mercedes.gen.in/mercedes-older-series-diagnostic-fault-code-reading-w124-r129-others/ (BTW this page is a PITA, you can't copy anything from it, I had to "print" it as a pdf then I could print out certain pages of the pdf that I wanted)

This pdf linked in the page

http://www.mercedes.gen.in/Downloads/cs1000_mb.pdf

has all the codes, some are specific to particular cars/engines, I went through and extracted all the tables for the SL600/V12 so when I start reading stuff (and particular pins) I will be able to figure out what it means.  There are still some parts of the system that this simple method will not read, for that I would need a code reader device that can talk to the system.  I could probably make on to plug into each of the particular sockets that show data, then have a switch for each, with my single pin reader you have to each one separately.  No big deal.  Got dark so I have not tested it on the car yet, but it worked with a 9V battery.

I am afraid of what I might find!

I found the bits to solder it up in my electronics box -- a momentary switch, an LED, wires, and a resister of about the right size.  I have tons of this "junk" I have scavenged from old printers and scanners and whatever, they are a treasure trove of electronic and small mechanical bits of various kinds.  I have used a heat gun or little torch to melt useful components off circuit boards -- switches, LEDs, capacitors, transistors, other things of utility -- and have them more or less organized in those square plastic jars rice comes in.

I shall report on my efforts, it's kinda interesting.

--
--FT