So far the only indication is that the plane had altitude problems and hit the
ground at high speed in a dive -- that crater was NOT dug by heavy equipment
and there was no significant post-crash fire, which means the fuel pretty much
completely atomized on impact.

In other words, just about exactly what the Lion Air one did, with much less
warning for the pilots, one of which was a trainee with 200 hours of flight
time.

I suspect there is something seriously wrong with the new programming, and
probably also with the sensors.  This is a new problem with the 737 -- the new
engines greatly increase the tendency for the nose to rise when power is
applied, and the 737 is a "weirdo" airplane in that the undercarriage is very
short and the engines are very high on the wing.  This was initially done to
allow much easier access in small airports, and I suspect the 727 is similar.

The combination of engines very close to the wing and much more powerful than
the original ones results in poor pitch control on climbing, and Boeing decided
to add computer control of the pitch to prevent stalls at low speed, similar to
the system used on the 727 and DC-9/MD11 to prevent deep stalls.  Sadly, it
appears that a simple failure in the pitch sensor allows the computer to shove
the nose WAY down without warning.

My personal feeling is that the 737 should have been retired and a completely
new aircraft designed for that market niche -- the fuselage design dates to
1956 as it's derived from the original 707, the short undercarriage was to meet
a mid 1960's service requirement (airports without jet equipment support) and
the whole aircraft is seriously under strength for modern equipment.  Until the
last edition, the skin was still 0.020", for instance.  Pretty much standard
for the late 1950's and 8,000 lb static thrust engines, but way too light for
modern usage.  This was the major cause for Hawaiian cabin blowout a couple
decades ago, as the fuselage was prone to stress corrosion from being very thin.

We shall see -- I'm thinking once the flight data recorder and cockpit voice
recorders are read will will have a major fix if the computer system is indeed
the issue, most likely grounding the fleet until it's rectified.

There is also some talk that there is a problem with the attitude and air speed
sensors -- a single failure crashing an airplane isn't acceptable, and hasn't
been for 70 years, someone may have screwed up pretty bad on this one.

And there is always the possibility of sabatoge or a bomb or some other out of
the blue sort of thing.  Going to be hard to pinpoint on this one, I don't
think there is much left of the plane.  Most obvious would be parts blowing or
falling off, as they would be found along the flight path well away from the
impact, we shall see as the investigation continues.