> On April 4, 2019 at 10:24 PM Craig via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

>                           no?

Si, Senor.

> \
> What was the denoument of that saga?

They couldn't sell me one unless I produced a CA, OR, or MD driver's license
with my picture on it. I toyed with the idea of using Andrew for a straw buyer,
but paying double sales tax kind of killed the deal. What I really wanted was
to lease one and license it in Oregon, and buy it when the lease was up. You
don't need an OR license to register a car in OR as it turns out, but GM has
stricter rules than OR DMV does. They only made the Spark EV because those
three states required them to sell EVs, and after getting burned on a few 2014s
that didn't get them CA credits because the buyers didn't keep them in CA for 3
years, GM got serious about not letting out of state residents buy them.

A dealer in western Wisconsin had a 2015 with a four digit odometer, lemon law
car, that they bought at auction and wanted $8888 for after GM refurbished it.
I thought about it but passed, it was my least favorite color, and it was the
LT2 model with the black 'leatherette' upholstery. I wanted a blue, white or
silver LT1 with blue cloth interior.

I still think GM deserves a big pat on the back for selling the best engineered
EV drivetrain on the market in 2014. Even though they never wanted to make it,
they took great care to make it the best, at least the EV system parts. And
what they learned from the Sparks probably helped greatly with the design and
manufacture of the 48 state Bolt. When you compare the Spark EV to other 'we
had to build it' EVs like the Fiat 500 and the Ford Focus, there's no
comparison. I feel sorry for the people who bought those things.
The Leaf is a solid transportation appliance but it's sluggish in comparison to
the Spark. The Bolt has more motor and battery than the Spark, but I still
think of it as the crossover SUV of EVs. Bolt is very fast in a straight line
though, first non-Tesla product I know of that outruns a SparkEV.

In the end I got the new improved Cruze, bigger, lighter, more aerodynamic than
the first generation Cruze. Messed up and stuck myself with two of them. Like
the Leaf it's made more for comfort than for driving excitement. Unlike the
Leaf it can keep up with a 2.3-16 in a straight line. And my red one can run
away from a 2.3-16 now that it makes about 200hp from its 85 cubic inches. I'm
getting about 40mpg driving it to work this week, winds gusting 20-30mph all
week. Should get 42-43 mpg on my commute now that the weather's halfway warm if
it wasn't so windy.

Mitch.