Bead blast is the operative phrase. Do not, repeat DO NOT sand blast or garnet or ... just use glass to get the old paint off, then do a good rattle can paint job. The sand will pit the wheels and you will then end up purchasing new ones.

I have used a paint solvent and some elbow grease to clean a few sets of wheel. It takes time, but you get a really good feel for the wheel and then you can rattle can paint. About $40 worth of paint and a few days to let it cure and you have really nice looking wheels again.

There is another product for dealing with brake dust on wheels. Comes in a silver spray bottle and there are formulas for all manner of metal wheel. It is solvent specific to the metal of the wheel. Eagle One. Etching stuff. Make sure you get the right stuff, or you may as well use brake cleaner. Spray on, hose off. I used it on bundts that I had stripped of paint, but the build up on the back side was just too thick. This got it down to metal after a bit of elbow grease and wire wheel.

www.eagleone.com