> On April 16, 2019 at 6:49 PM archer75--- via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> wrote:
>

> Back in the late '40s a wealthy man told me he was unhappy about spending the
> winter in Florida (his wife loved it) but he might as well because he only
> made six cents on the dollar if he stayed and worked in New York; Wall Street
> I seem to remember. Do you know what the tax rate for the wealthy was then?

In 1944, the top rate peaked at 94 percent on taxable income over $200,000
($2.5 million in today’s dollars3). That’s a high tax rate. We've got a list
member on Banned who wants to see it come back.

If there was state and city income tax on top of it, I wonder if it was
possible to owe more than 100% marginal rate? I have no idea how old NYS and
NYC income tax is.

https://bradfordtaxinstitute.com/Free_Resources/Federal-Income-Tax-Rates.aspx
Mitch.