Actually I think you and Kaleb are right. I thought the FASTEN BELTS
light was working properly but I just checked and it it not.

The BRAKE light works with the parking brake as it should. The brake
wear light, which looks like (O), comes on momentarily when the key is
first turned on. The FASTEN BELTS light does not come on at all, unless
I step moderately hard on the brakes.

So my guess is -- a prior owner has switched the bulb holders, and
possibly also bypassed the seat belt switch.

Allan