I don't want to suggest that we don't need new refineries (specifically, we
need more capacity), but the argument that we haven't built a "new" refinery
since 1978 isn't quite true.  It's been my observation from within the "awl
bidness" that while there haven't been any "new" sites (i.e. green field
locations), every refinery is in a constant state of rebuilding.  You either
do that or you get left behind.  But you can't build on a new location
without bringing out all the NIMBYs to try to stop you.

Having said that, I suspect that the real problem is twofold.  First, the
crazy quilt of environmental regulations requires refiners to make a whole
lot of different formulations which adds significantly to cost.  Second, the
focus of American business on quarter to quarter profits drives long term
businesses like refining to take short term improvements at the expense of
strategic improvements.

My $.02.

OBTW...I took a new day job which will involve about a 25 mile commute, so
the Shaggin Wagin will start really earning its keep.  Just put a new half
shaft in the rear end and it rides real sweet.

Royce Engler
1985 300TD Turbo 285K
Mobil1 in everything