Best wishes to Mitch and Andrew for speedy recoveries.

My old doctor, who used to teach surgery at MSU in the 1970s, had both of his
knees replaced in one surgery session. Obese guy, probably best to minimize his
exposure to anesthesia.
The next day he drove 20 miles to pick up his grandkids after school. Seemed
plenty alert enough to drive, I doubt he was on any pain meds. (I worked for
his son back then, he picked the kids up at my office) I don't think he went
back to work until the following Monday.

Mitch.