I wonder if the paint is single stage or two.  That would be awesome if it
has single stage paint.  My '95 E300 is (I think) the same blue and it is
quite handsome.

The AC can't be that hard to work out, probably a weekend or two of
concentrated effort.  Put in a better condenser and an expansion valve
meant for r134a and it will probably freeze you right out.
Max
Charleston SC