We do forget.

Being a dumb young punk in Europe visiting my parents many decades ago, my
father and I spent a day castle touring.  We got to Nueschwanstein and I was
too impatient to wait for the carriage ride up, so we climbed the mountain.
Rough terrain, but I was young and strong.  Dad followed along behind.

I am an idiot.  Dad had just come off extended convalescence from open heart
surgery and kidney failure not three months before.  Before I had arrived, so I
did not experienced his hospital stay and recovery. Out of sight, out of mind.
By the time we got up the hill, I was sure I had killed the poor man.  He
looked to be at death's door.  That switch was permanently welded to “Old Man
is not to be abused that way”.  He survived another 25 years and many more
cardiac issues. None my doing.

clay