I repaired my SD driver seat nearly a year ago using copper clad steel wire wrapped into a tight coil and slid as a support sleeve around the break and J.B. Weld. Still together today and the only issue is a missing bolt

This is substantially what I have just done, except that there was no
JB about the welding.  I would never expect the repair to hold if the
spring was merely welded back together.  The key is the splint.

But we'll see how long it holds up.  The SDL gets driven a lot and
we're planning to keep it indefinitely.  I can feel the repair from
below, so I can keep tabs on it.

-- Jim