A shop vac should pull out any little chunks from the breather hole,
which doesn't open directly into the head anyway. I wouldn't worry too
much about it. You'll likely need a new seal where the tube attaches
to the valve cover, this seal is often fossilized after 5-10 years. My
originals came out in chunks and felt like plastic... it should be
nice, soft rubber. A new PCV tube is something like $30 I think.

No worries about driving the car around the driveway with the PCV not
connected, but I wouldn't drive it down the road like that... you'll
be blowing quite a bit of oil vapor out the valve cover hole, and
sucking unfiltered air into the rubber intake snorkel.

=)

-Dave M.