Good discussion on what works and what doesn't, by cops who've trained and used
it a lot, including one OC spray instructor, here:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Best-pepper-spray/5-2187139/#i77329876

Michigan might be the only state that specifically bans the UV dye, can't have
people going around making it easy to prosecute criminals, now can we?
NY bans the dye in a roundabout way, in NY you can use animal spray but not
people spray, and everything with dye in it is of course people spray:
https://www.concealedcarrytoday.com/pepper-spray-laws-by-state/