Kevin,

First a little clarification, then on to your problems. In the
124.133/.193, the high speed only runs at temps over 105C. The switch
is on top of the engine at the water outlet. The low speed only runs
when AC refrigerant pressure exceeds 16 or 20 bar, depending if you
have the old green or new red switch. That switch is located at the
receiver-drier. Nothing related to fan operation is located at the
thermostat housing (the switch down there is for the tranny
cold-shift-softening vacuum circuit).

1) If you can short the 2 pins and make the fan come on high speed,
replace the switch. These switches have a high failure rate. Every one
of the 4 cars in my family came from the previous owners with bad
switches. Replace it!! I use the 603.971 switch which is cheaper and
has a lower temp rating. Part number and photo is here:
<http://www.w124performance.com/images/W124_stuff/Temp_switch_105-12x.jpg>

2) The low speed switch requires AC evacuation to replace. If you have
the green one, replace it with a red one. The resistor is right next
to the receiver drier. If bad, or bypassed, replace it or un-bypass
it. Hopefully this switch is working ok.

3) Your engine should almost never, EVER exceed 105C and need the aux
electric fan. If that's happening, you have other issues. If the fan
clutch is truly bad, either try refilling with silicone, or replace
it. Yes it does something at freeway speeds too, don't expect ram air
to cool the engine.

4) If the radiator is more than 5 years old it is also highly suspect.
They can corrode internally and although flow is fine, it won't cool
worth squat. My car had the radiator replaced at the dealership in
1993, and when I bought the car in 1997 and had hot running problems
like you, I assumed it couldn't be the radiator because it was only 4
years old. Guess what? It was the radiator. It's awfully hard to
diagnose, though. I replaced everything else and that was the only
thing left, so I took the gamble and it worked.

:-)

-Dave M.