My 56k was actually about 31k on a good day. 26-28k most often.
I could average about ten minutes per MB on downloads.
Two megabyte messages in one download session is going to lock up your email
for 20 minutes unless you're closer to a digital switch than I was.

Can you hotspot a phone and use it for internet service?
Verizon LTE beats the 10Mb ATT U-Verse I got rid of a couple of years ago.
There are plans out there that give you 20GB per month for $30-40.