> > Dan  wrote:
> >
> > Is there a standard height I should try to achieve with the
> > ball?

Nope.  No standard height.  But my experience is that 14 to 20
inches [35 to 50 cm] from the ground to the top of the ball is the
most likely range.  And I prefer the ball a bit high more often
than I want it low.

> Craig wrote:
>
> Your go to resource for all things related to this is
> etrailer.com.

I like ETrailer - good info, text transcriptions of their
information videos, real information on their product - sometimes
more than the manufacturers websit, helpful people,  and if you
happen to be near St. Louis MO, the have a will-call desk.   They
don't always have what I need, but I do try to take my business to
them first.

1-7/8, 2, and 2-5/16 are the ball sizes.  U-Haul uses only 2", I'm
pretty sure.  2 inch balls can be rated for quite a range in load
capacity, so be sure to get one "big" enough for your loads.

Also make sure the ball shank/bolt diameter matches the hole in
the ball mount. There are bushings to allow mounting in a hole
that's too big.  I think shank sizes vary from 5/8" to 1.5".

Something like this can be mounted either way so it has a bit of a
of a drop or a very slight rise.
https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/D-4.html

Here is a kit with ball, mount, pin, etc.
https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/C45534.html

I like putting a rubber cap over the ball for storage 'cause I
always keep the ball well greased.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Tow-Ready/42250.html