My 1985 300CD has sat all winter as various other projects and money
commitments have preceded it.  As the weather has started to warm then I have
started to look at it again.  While I have been working on some vacuum issues,
I took it for a drive yesterday and again today and I believe that vacuum is
not the most serious issue with the car.

Since I have owned the car there has been a persistent clunking coming from
possibly the rear passenger side but it is hard to tell.  When I start the car
cold and drive off the noise is absent or very low but as I continue to drive
up to interstate speeds the noise is more pronounced.  Sometimes it actually
seems to go away while driving but is always comes back fairly quickly.  I can
let off the accelerator and the noise goes away and it will come back when I
accelerate again.  When I first started reading the list, it seemed that the
general consensus was probably trailing arm links.

What is the most likely way to test for bad trailing arm links, flex-disk, or
universal joint?  Could it be a bad half-axle and if so what else needs to be
replaced?

Todd Smith '85 300CD 248K