> On August 6, 2019 at 9:48 AM Craig via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
> Chemical name                         CAS-No.   Concentration
>
> lubricating oils (petroleum)
> C20-50, hydrotreated                72623-87-1     70 - 90 %

Sounds like it contains 70% group III oils, which have been advertised as full
synthetic since the Castrol mess of the 1990s.

But that doesn't say anything about its performance, although we might assume
it'll suffer heat damage more readily than group IV.

For most of my cars, I don't care. Any M1 product of the appropriate viscosity
is plenty good enough for any of my normally aspirated cars, but for some
engines, like the 1977 Saab and the 1986 2.3-15 I like the zinc anti wear
additives in M1 15w-50.
The turbo diesels aren't that demanding, a G-III oil designed for turbo diesels
is fine.

It's the LE2 engine Cruze that makes me worry about what's in my oil.
140hp/liter and direct injection makes for an unfriendly environment for oil.
It has to hold up to a 15-20lb boost turbo environment while experiencing
significant gasoline+alcohol fuel dilution.
Here in town, I can get 89 octane alcohol free, but it costs me 50-70 cents a
gallon more than 93 octane top tier E10, and my Cruze is tuned to run on 93 so
there would be a lot of knock retard on 89.
Mitch.