> Rick wrote:

> https://www.unz.com/article/the-car-that-almost-was/

I am skeptical of the 170 MPG claim.  I guess I know too much.
Weight, drag, and size of the car are big factors.  It's a LOT
more than just an efficient engine.  A W123 car with a 100%
efficient engine would only get about 125 MPG.  That is why the 100 MPG
carburetor is a myth.  Darn physics!

But I did some number crunching using a spreadsheet I built a
number of years ago relating to aerodynamics and fuel used.

What I came up with surprised me.

I think it's actually possible.  With a Cd of 0.2 and a frontal
area of l8 square feet [1.673 m^2].  That's a small car.  But the
engine has to be 45% efficient. That is _really_ efficient.  But
if it's hybrid, it might be able to because it runs at one speed -
ie, practically always at peak efficiency.

I went looking for cars that might be that small.  And I found
this list
https://ecomodder.com/wiki/Vehicle_Coefficient_of_Drag_List

... and it _lists_ the L1!!!

Cd of 0.15 and frontal area of 11 square feet [1.022 m^2] !  That
is smooooth and small.  But with those numbers, and a guess of
3000 lb [1360 kg] the engine can be 30% efficient.  Not only is
that believable, it's not very remarkable!

Then I changed the accessories to be 20% cause with a tiny engine
the A/C and such will be a bigger percentage.  And with an engine
achieving 35% efficiency - which is noteworthy, but not at all
unbelievable - it could reach 170 MPG.

Using the same values for the engine, but making the car heavier
and with a larger frontal area and with a still smooth but more
realistic Cd of 0.2 - 90 MPG is possible.