> Curt wrote:

> I still don't think you understand how the 5w part of the rating
> works. It's a 40w oil that resists thickening when it's cold.

Other way around.  It's a 5w oil that doesn't thin as much as it
gets hot. Until the VI breaks down and it becomes a 5W oil.
Admittedly not prone to happening without longer drain intervals.

> The Delvac 1 everybody used to crow about was 5w40...

Some of the group IV synthetic oils don't even need viscosity
improving to achieve a multi-weight rating - they are by nature
less prone to thinning as it heats.