From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 6:39 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Trunk hot spot

Hi Bill,
I'm not really sure exactly where the hole is you described - but my W123
has an aluminum heat shield over the rear muffler (or is that a resonator?)
with the exhaust pipes having no protection. I've never noticed any heat in
the trunk even after extended high speed drives, but that's in a 240D and
not a 300 engined model.

What kind of driving did you do during the period the plastic piece melted?
Any extended slow, creeping type of driving?  Perhaps some sitting in one
spot for a while?

I'm surprised the exhaust retained that much heat so far from the engine.

Good luck -- I doubt it would ignite anything except something really flimsy
like paper or something flammable. - But I'd definately keep an extinguisher
handy.

Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB, 91 300D Turbo) A Blood Test for your oil -
www.youroil.net For Test Results http://members.rennlist.com/oil Weber Carb
Stuff http://members.rennlist.com/webercarbs
http://members.rennlist.com/my_911/Index.htm For my Paint Job Info