https://nationalpost.com/news/squadron-leader-john-hart-battle-of-britains-last-surviving-canadian-pilot-dies-at-102

On a similar note

Randy

On 23/08/2019 6:11 PM, Meade Dillon via Mercedes wrote:
Also, I was hoping that your "aardvark" word document was another story
from your career, miss those and I'm too frugal to buy the book.

Reminds me, this summer we traveled to Italy again, and one of the museums
we visited was in Castelforte, and covered the impact of WW2 in that area.
Very fierce fighting there between Germans and Allies (U.S. Army, Brits of
course, and French forces) along the Gustav line.  Reportedly more civilian
deaths caused by land mines than all casualties on both sides caused by the
hostilities.  A lady we know there in Italy was only about  3 months old
when her mother was killed by a mine, her father was already dead, and
there were no living relatives to care for her so she was raised an
orphan.  She visited the museum with us, and really enjoyed it.

The museum is run by a non-profit, all volunteers from the local community,
and they still are finding artifacts from the war.  While we were there,
they showed me a U.S. helmet that was remarkably well preserved, found that
day in a nearby river, where some GI had probably dropped it nearly 80
years ago.

The French forces were mostly recruited from their colonies in Africa, IIRC
they were Moroccan, and they had a terrible reputation for very fierce and
brutal fighting vs. the Germans and unfortunately also abusing the
civilians when they weren't fighting.  Abusing is putting a very kind face
on it.  They wore stripped tunics and white turbans, and the French
officers paid them a dollar per ear taken from a German.  More than a few
pictures of these soldiers on display, and they did indeed look pretty
rough and fierce.

There were pieces from a Spitfire that had crashed, which they traced back
to the pilot who had been flying at the time, pilot had bailed out safely
and continued fighting the rest of the war and just died about ten or
fifteen years ago.

They also had found the remains of a German solder, which they returned to
Germany.  The guy was just 17 when he died.  They had pictures from the
German officials who came to retrieve the remains, and pictures from his
burial ceremony in Germany, and some letters and such around that episode.
German dog tags back then didn't have a name, just a serial number, and
were made to easily break in half.  This was so that when a soldier died,
one half was collected for recording his death and the other half stayed
with the body.  This set of remains had the complete dog tag, so they knew
he was a MIA that could now be recognized as a KIA.

The place has a facebook site, but I don't know what that is.  They really
need a real website, but run on a shoe-string budget.

One section of the museum displays how the locals used the war refuse to
make things they needed.  Helmets got a hole punched in the top and made
into a hanging lamp, or had a handle riveted on and made into a pot.  Brass
shells from artillery made into flower vases or watering cans or decorated
to commemorate some event.  Uniforms where turned inside out so the liner
was displayed instead of the military pattern on the outside (German
mountain troop uniforms were best for this, they were designed to be
reversible, one side was a grey / black camo pattern, other side was white
to blend into snow).  There was a wedding dress using the white from that
type of uniform.
Max
Charleston SC