Hello again.
I decided to “blindly” plunge into the cooling system, removed the radiator cap
and filled it. Afterward, I remembered the procedure of filling through the top
hose, so I removed it, topped off the system, reinstalled it, tightened the
clamp and fired it up. Nothing was leaking, so I let it idle for a couple
minutes. I varied the RPMs as it got hotter. I turned on the heater to get more
circulation through the system. When I shut it down, I noticed a small puddle
of coolant under the passenger’s side of the radiator which I determined had
puked out of the overflow tube. I also noticed that only the top hose and top
part of the rad were warm. Could the t-stat be stuck closed? Could it be that
the radiator cap is faulty as well? I also noticed what appears to be a vac
line running down from the top front of the engine to  behind the passenger
side headlight.
Kevin in Hillsboro, OR
1982 240D 191Kmi, Hildegard

Sent from my iPhone