Was looking at my "new to me" W124 '91 300D that I bought in Feb 06 and
noticed an official sticker on the drivers door jamb.  It said, "SRS
Replacement 2-2000". The car would have been ~10 years old at that time.
Does that mean the air bag *should* have been replaced then or *was*
replaced then?

I believe that is a _should_ sticker.  Our '86 SL's have them, with
a date of 96.  Later DBAG revised the good lifetime estimate to be
15 years, not 10.

Given the price of a replacement I'm going to operate on the 'better
than nothing' principle, and assume it's still good.  And continue
wearing the belt!

-- Jim