I have a 95 SL600.  Amazing car.  A coupla years in there the German gummint mandated biodegradable wiring insulation which causes untold problems.  Mine has that issue.... sigh...  99 was after that fiasco, and the 500 is a solid engine, I don't think there are many problems with it other than the occasional sensor and such, which are not hard to fix.  Wheels can be whatever you want, there are guys who like the monoblocks which tend to be pricey, but there are lots of other choices, the factory wheels don't look bad.

Poos has one about that vintage, he can speak to that particular engine -- what I recall is that it has quite good performance.

If it is in good shape I wouldn't hesitate, depending of course on the price.  (Which, BTW, is what?)

--FT