SWMBOs 2011 i5 MBP is running el crap (10.11).   When she opens an email in gmail web client on safari, the reply button is greyed out.  If she composes a new email in the gmail web app, when she tries to send it the  gmail web app just spins and says "loading."  It never does send the mail.

To me the send problem seems like a DNS problem.  There is no settings for dns in the web client that I can find, and since it is spyoogle's web app, they set all the dns settings.

I have the same setup on  my MBP, other than it is i7 and I can use the spyoogle gmail web app. (but I don't generally)  I use postbox email client for various accounts.  I tried to get her to let  me set up postbox on her computer, but she does not want me to do that.   I don't think I can get her off gmail onto another email address.

One solution might be to put a newer OS on the computer, but I am reluctant to do that.  (new OS generally means poorer performance as the OS is bloated more with each release.)

Here are my questions:

is there any way to install a newer version of safari without changing the OS.  It does not appear possible through the "app store"

Has anyone successfully installed 10.12 or higher on a 2011 or older computer?  (preferably MBP)

If so, was there a performance hit?

What OS did you install?

Has anyone encountered something like this?  If so, what is the solution?

Thanks